(IAAC) Fwd: Chandra: "Smoking Gun Found for Gamma-Ray Burst in Milky Way"

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Fri Jun 4 15:18:31 EDT 2004

This latest fascinating X-ray object, "W 49b" (SNR 043.3-00.2), is a
supernova remnant "conveniently" located (for Northern Hemisphere
Summer), in Aquila at 19:11:09 +09:06.4 (SIMBAD).

 http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/04_releases/press_060204.html

There have been ample professional observations of this object at X-ray
and radio frequencies (and some mention of IR - far IR, I would guess?)
But a CDS search turned up no evidence that it has ever been observed
visually at all - by professional imaging, or otherwise - and therefore
there is no indication of a total magnitude or surface brightness (in
any near-visual band).

And a look at the DSS plates shows NOTHING at this exact location -
though there is a field star which seems just 10-20 arcsec to the East
of this position on the POSS2 plates.

Finally, distance estimate from the press release is a tidy 35 kly.

So from all indications, this object is completely invisible visually...
which naturally lead me to wonder if anyone on these lists has ever
tried observing it, or has access to any data that might indicate it
COULD be observed or imaged in visible light? :)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer