(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6543 - Inst: C9.25"

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Wed Jun 9 18:20:02 EDT 2004

Glenn, I enjoyed your observation of the Cat's Eye:
  http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg04029.html
Was especially interested in your observation of the
outer halo - this is always a fun challenge for those
bright PNe that are cataloged with outer halos.

There is a very nice observation of tiny filament IC4677
on the edge of the PN in a 17", from our own Mark Viol:
  http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg03353.html

That is the only other explicit reference to this little
bit of "extra" nebulosity, although it seems likely that
our own Mark Birkmann saw it as well with his 30" dob:
  http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg00634.html

(What Mark saw was identified by another poster as being
NGC 6552 - but that object is some 8' EAST of the Cat's
Eye, and in any case is very distinctly a galaxy - often
featured as an "odd couple" object with the Cat's Eye. So
it would not have fit either of the Marks' descriptions.)

Very interesting that you thought to try for this little
extension to the PN halo in a 9" scope, Glenn. Has anyone
logged this little IC object in medium or small apertures?

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer