(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6543 - Inst: C9.25"

Bill Ferris (via Lew Gramer) BillFerris at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 12:14:39 EDT 2004

[Reply crossposted with Bill's permission. -Lew]

"Lewis J. Gramer" <dedalus at a...> wrote, in part:
> Very interesting that you thought to try for this little
> extension to the PN halo in a 9" scope, Glenn. Has anyone
> logged this little IC object in medium or small apertures?

I've got a negative observation of the filament and a positive of
nearby NGC 6552. That galaxy is a FLS (faint little stinker) and a
good test of transparency from a dark sky site.

http://members.aol.com/billferris/n6543.html
http://members.aol.com/billferris/n6552.html

If I'm interpreting the positive sightings and the DSS image
correctly, the filament is about 100" west of the Cat's Eye (NGC
6543) or about 60" southeast of the 9th magnitude GSC star in my
sketch.

I'll have to look more closely for this when the transparency and
seeing cooperate.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff, Arizona USA