(IAAC) Great articles on observing quasars, gravitational lenses and quasar/galaxy groups

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Thu Jun 17 13:14:40 EDT 2004

I found a couple of very informative sites about quasars,
BL Lac objects and gravitational lenses, from well-known
German deep-sky observer Wolfgang Steinicke. Thought they
might be of general interest to other deep-sky nuts:

 http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/Artikel/dqso/dq_e.htm
 http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/KHQ/khq_e.htm

Here's another really interesting page I happened on the
other day, from the Adventures in Deep Space website:

 http://www.angelfire.com/id/jsredshift/arpredshift.htm

It has much useful info on observing quasars, about the
(still lingering!) Great Red Shift controversy, and it
even features none other than the NGC 5985 galaxy group
Glenn Talbert recently posted an observation of on IAAC:
( http://www.visualdeepsky.org/search.cgi?catalogs=NGC&ids=598%5b125%5d )

Has anyone visually observed any of the quasar/galaxy
groupings featured in the "Adventures" article, other
than NGC4319/Mk205? I can't find any of these besides
Markarian 205, that show up in Wolfgang's Catalogue.

(I did get a chance to observe two of the several QSOs
in the neighborhood of NGC3842 at the most recent TSP;
see an upcoming observing log in IAAC for these.)

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer <owner at visualdeepsky.org>
Webmaster: http://www.visualdeepsky.org