(IAAC) Re: Abell 43, Abell 71

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Fri Jun 18 21:26:58 EDT 2004

> I've sketched A43 (see my web pages) and I saw, with my 17"
> an annular structure and 2 stars surimposed.
> Has anyone saw an annular structur ?

Benji, it appears that Stathis Kafalis noted annularity in
this "knotty" Abell with his 24" f/4 scope. And he goes on
to log what sounds like some very interesting structure in
it as well, with higher power and an OIII filter!
 http://www.visualdeepsky.org/search.cgi?catalogs=Abell&ids=43

>From the amateur images, it seems like it would be nothing
BUT annularity to a visual observer, e.g.,
 http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/abell43walendowski.jpg

> > Also tried the faint Abell 71 but no luck with the
> > 25" or the 15". I will try again this weekend in mag
> > 7.0 skies.
>
> Yes, it's an hard one.

IAAC has archived a few successful attempts at this large,
challenging Abell, including one from Eric H., another by
Yann Pothier, and even a claim of seeing it with a 13"!
 http://www.visualdeepsky.org/search.cgi?catalogs=Abell&ids=71

The Adventures in Deep Space site includes it among Steve
Gottlieb's "Best Abell Planetaries: Summer", and includes
his observation of it with a 17":
 http://www.angelfire.com/id/jsredshift/abell3.htm

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer