(IAAC) Re: [starrynights] Asterims - IC 4665

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Fri Jun 18 21:53:19 EDT 2004

Sue, Bill, Carol, Greg et al,

I also love this beautiful open cluster, and call it "the
Epaulette cluster" - because of it's position just above
(what I see as) the Serpent Bearer's E shoulder, beta Oph:

 http://visualdeepsky.org/search.cgi?catalogs=IC&ids=4665
 http://visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg00278.html

I often try to name things as a mnemonic for their position
in the sky, rather than their appearance: so for example, I
have often called M35 the "shoe buckle cluster", and NGC2903
is the "Lion's nose galaxy" (or the lion's booger, if I'm in
a scatological mood). And so of course, the magnificent open
cluster Collinder 132 (C 0712-310) below Eta CMa, is forever
fixed in my mind as - the Dingleberry cluster! :)

And by the way, both of these really are open clusters, from
what I can tell - not true asterisms at all! For IC 4665:
 http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/cdsbib?2002A%26A...388..158L
and for Cr 132:
 http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/cdsbib?2001A%26A...376..441D

Clear skies all!