(IAAC) Obj: Abell 86 = PK 118+8.2 - Inst: 24" f/4.1 Ultralight Dobson

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Sat Jun 19 07:56:55 EDT 2004

----

Observation Poster: Stathis Kafalis <skorpion40 at freenet.de>

Observer: Stathis Kafalis
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2002 Aug 8
Location of site: German Alps (Lat 48, Elev 1300)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 2- <Bortle Scale (9 worst)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 24" f/4.1 Ultralight Dobson
Magnification: 180
Filter(s): OIII
Object(s): Abell 86 = PK 118+8.2
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: Smooth disk wtih traces of ring structure
Constellation: Cepheus
Data: mag 16p7  size 70"
Position: RA 00:02  DEC +70:43
This is one of my most chalenging observations. Many times before tried without success even under very good conditions.

This time under eceptionel transparent skies (fog in the valleys blocked residual light pollution) and wildly structured Milky Way field found with Uranometria an fixed exact position with DSS print.

- 24 mm WF (108x) + OIII: nothing
- 15 mm Panoptic (168x) + OIII: nothing
- 14 mm Meade UltraWF (180x) + OIII: 3 times in half hour of trying an extremly faint circular glow popped up with averted vision.
The next night under same conditions I saw it again and again, but could hold it at 10% of time only. The observing fellow next to me confimed sighting.
One of the really difficult Abells!
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.stathis-firstlight.de/deepsky/abell.htm