(IAAC) Obj: NGC 457 - Inst: 10" F/5.6 Dobsonian

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Tue Nov 16 00:29:04 EST 2004

----

Observation Poster: Brian Carter <Nairbretrac at hotmail.com>

Observer: Brian Carter
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 11/14/2004
Location of site: Charlie Elliot (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 10" F/5.6 Dobsonian
Magnification: 64x  109x   203x   284x
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 457
Category: Open cluster.
Class: Cl, B, L, pRi, st 7, 8, 10
Constellation: Cas
Data: mag 6.4  size 13
Position: RA 1:19.1  DEC +58:20
Phi Cas Cluster.  The best view is with the 22mm Panoptic at 64x, gives a little over a degree fov.
Nicknamed the ET cluster, becuase it resembles the famous 1980's alien.
Open cluster about 15' in diameter.  To me it is an almost perfect replica
of the Gemini constelation.  the 2 dominant stars, maybe 8-9 mag, are in the
same position as Castor and Pollux.  Other stars make up the respective legs
and arms of the twins.  There are a number of 'dark' red stars, like dim
carbon stars.  This is one of my favorite clusters, really stimulates the imagination.

--
Optional related URLs: