(IAAC) Obj: DoDz 9 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Thu Aug 11 15:50:54 EDT 2005

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2005/07/29 3h24 UT
Location of site: L'Avenir (Qc), Canada (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5,6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): DoDz 9
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Her
Data: mag   size 34'
Position: RA 18:08.8  DEC 31:32
In Hercules, at ~ 3° N of Omicron Her.  This open cluster is in the center of a isosceles triangle of stars, formed by 104 Her, HD 165683 and HD 166180. With the 9x63 binos, the cluster is of low brightness but its great extent is clearly visible. Some stars are visible with direct vision and averted vision helps much to improve the aspect of the object, which becomes suddenly much denser of stars. On the whole, I count 14 stars observed individually, 2 very brilliant and the others are of average brightness. Most astonishing with DoDz 9, these are its impressive dimensions, that I estimate with the size of Full Moon, and the image of the cluster in averted vision, showing many stars deep.
--
Optional related URLs: