(IAAC) Nighttime Lights of the World 24/08

CMH Speedy cmh at infonegocio.net.pe
Wed Aug 24 13:32:09 EDT 2005

Hello Lew,

The images are great. I'd love to have a similar Night Time image for Perú.
During the las few 3 or 4 years our usual observing places have gradually
lost its dark due to the cities and population growth, and to a great
extent, to the arrival of progress (electric ligth!) to previously
difficult to access places. If I had a night time map, current to the last
year at last, my group and I could look for better places in the Andes.
Maybe we will have to go farter and farter to look for really dark places to
observe. A few years ago at night we could not detect people two or three
meters from us when observing (we could not detect our hand wiith the arm
extended!) and we had to put red lights at the legs of the telescopes to
avoid bumping them. Now it is easy to see people moving 30 m from us even
when we still can have 6.5-7 naked eye limiting magnitude on the sky. I
would say this is a problem everywhere, apparently without solution...

Have a nice day!. (If you know of a night time map for Perú I will thank you
for telling me).

Celso Montalvo
Lima-PERU
[UT - 5h]