(IAAC) Mis-identification of Stock 5 as "Stephenson 5"

Brent A Archinal barchinal at usgs.gov
Mon Jan 10 19:00:03 EST 2005

The first observation below caught my attention since it was listed as
being of "Stephenson 5", a cluster I didn't know existed.  Sure enough,
some checking shows that this is probably of Stock 5 (St 5 as the body of
the message indicates) at (2000.0) 02 04.4 +64 23 (from Archinal and
Hynes, 2003, p. 51), near Epsilon Cassiopeiae (not Eta Cassiopeiae).  That
cluster matches the nice visual description given.  The westernmost star
mentioned could be 53 Cas, the brightest star of the group, but the B8Ib
spectrum (from MegaStar 5.0.08 and also SIMBAD) of 53 Cas doesn't match
the cited red color.

In the second observation, it appears the cited star is also Epsilon
Cassiopeiae and not Eta, since IC 1747 is close to Epsilon. Alternatively,
perhaps the observation was made near Eta and that's why IC 1747 was not
located?

Anyway, this illustrates the importance of giving both a name _and_ a
position (along with a reference to the source of the position if
possible!) of objects observed.

- Brent Archinal

----- Forwarded by Brent A Archinal/GD/USGS/DOI on 01/10/2005 04:33 PM
-----