(IAAC) Obj: SN2005cs - Inst: 10.1" f/4.5 Newtonian reflector

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Sun Jul 3 10:11:23 EDT 2005

----

Observation Poster: Brent Reary <gmbreary at rollanet.org>

Observer: Brent Reary
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 07/03/05  04:50 UT
Location of site: Rolla, MO  USA (Lat 37 57'N, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 10.1" f/4.5 Newtonian reflector
Magnification: 128x, 257x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): SN2005cs
Category: Extragalactic star.
Class:
Constellation: CVn
Data: mag 14.0  size
Position: RA 13:30  DEC +47:10.5
IAUC circular 08553 has announced a supernova just off the S. edge of the
nucleus of NGC5194 in M51.  An average of the most recently posted observations
indicate that it is around magnitude 14.0 although it is thought to be
brightening and a few observations have estimated the brightness at ~13.5.
A finder chart downloaded from the Supernovae Home Page show the object to be
in the first spiral arm to the S. side of the nucleus and at the end of a line
extended from the nucleus of NGC5195 through the nucleus of NGC5194.  At 128x
a pair of ~13.5 magnitude stars just S. of the nucleus and aligned NW-SE were
visible with averted vision but the supernova could not be seen.  At 257x the
supernova, during moments of steady seeing, was repeatedly visible with averted
vision and I would estimate it at about 14th magnitude.  This observation
probably represents the limit of my capability with this instrument.

--
Optional related URLs: