(IAAC) Obj: NGC 2384 & NGC 2383 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Mon Mar 7 00:18:57 EST 2005

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2005/02/06 03h15 UT
Location of site: St-Joseph-de-Coleraine (Qc) Canada (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5,6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 2384 & NGC 2383
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: CMa
Data: mag   size
Position: RA 07:25  DEC -21:01
At ~ 8¼° N of Aludra. These 2 clusters are very close and can be observed simultaneously in a 5,4° field. In the first seconds of the observation, I did not see any cluster, only stars taking the appearance of a gun. A double star represents the stick of the gun, a second double star is in the center and the remainder of the stars forms the rest of the gun, pointing towards the east. Very close to second double star (in the center), I believe to distinguish NGC 2384 but I am dubious of this observation, so much the cluster seems of small size. On SkyAtlas, the drawing of NGC 2384 indicates that this double star is a part of the cluster. By carrying out a more careful observation of the area, I am able to note that only the component more in the south of the double star forms a part of NGC 2384 since I distinguish a stretching very close to this star and not to stretching close to second star, more in north. To confirm the whole, I have to check on an image of the DSS. NGC 2383 is visible in the north of the rifle, with averted vision. I am not able to observe individual stars on NGC 2383 but I see a streching very distinctly. Of these 2 clusters, NGC 2383 is more attracting, although they must offer a beautiful spectacle with a magnification higher than 9x.
--
Optional related URLs: