(IAAC) Obj: NGC#869 NGC#884 Double Cluster - Inst: Orion 120mm f/5 EQ

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Mon Oct 10 03:28:25 EDT 2005

----

Observation Poster: Jeff Bullard <jeffbullard at yahoo.com>

Observer: Jeff Bullard
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 10/10/05 1:00 CST
Location of site: Sealy, TX (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Orion 120mm f/5 EQ
Magnification: 24X
Filter(s): No Filter
Object(s): NGC#869 NGC#884 Double Cluster
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: PER
Data: mag 4.3  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
I was scanning with low power in search of M103 in CAS when this beautiful double cluster came into my field of view.  I had not seen this cluster before and was excited to have "discovered" it.  My short tube scope gives very wide fields and this double fit easily into 1.25" 25mm plossl.  The two bright stars in the center of NGC869 (look like eyes) stood out from a peppered background of approximately 20 fainter stars.  The concentration of stars seemed particularly dense slightly northwest of the center of the "eyes" of NGC869.  Stars were well resolved in this area even at such low power.  NGC884 was not quite as remarkable but added "wow" factor to the FOV.  By the time I reached for my 10mm eyepiece low clouds had rolled across.
--
Optional related URLs: