(IAAC) Obj: NGC 3109 - Negative report - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Sun Jun 11 17:56:19 EDT 2006

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2006/04/30 2h48 UT
Location of site: St-Venant-de-Paquette (Lat 45.12°, Elev -71.44°)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5.8 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 3109 - Negative report
Category: External galaxy.
Class: SBmsp
Constellation: Hya
Data: mag 9.9  size 19.7' x 3.4'
Position: RA 10:03  DEC -26:10
In Hydra, at ~ 14° S-W of Nu Hya. The finding of this galaxy is very difficult because of the low number of bright stars near the spot of NGC 3109. As it has be very close to the horizon, I had little hope to observe it, at magv = 9,9. After several minutes of observation, the galaxy remains invisible with my 9x63.
--
Optional related URLs: