(IAAC) Obj: NGC 5846 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Sun Jun 11 21:11:38 EDT 2006

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2006/04/30 5h36 UT
Location of site: Coaticook (Qc), Canada (Lat 45.17°, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5.2 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 5846
Category: External galaxy.
Class: E2
Constellation: Vir
Data: mag 10.0  size 4.0 x 3.7
Position: RA 15:07  DEC 01:36
In Virgo, at ~ 3° E of M5. This galaxy is completelyout of the Coma-Virgo cluster, located very close to the boder of Virgo and Serpens Caput. Not very bright galaxy (magv = 10,0), at the limit of my instrument and viewed only with averted vision 70% of the time. This elliptic galaxy takes the shape of a stellar object in appearance, without more.  Curiously, I perceive a small object very slightly luminous at the spot of another galaxy, NGC 5850 (magv = 10,8), just at east of NGC 5846. Would it be possible that it is this barred spiral? Quite difficult to say; historically, I never crossed the magv = 10,0 limit with my 9x63. Need other observations to solve this mystery…
--
Optional related URLs: