(IAAC) Obj: B138 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Tue Aug 14 11:27:13 EDT 2007

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2007/07/22 6h UT
Location of site: St-Joseph-de-Coleraine (Qc) Canada (Lat 45.96°, Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.8 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): B138
Category: Dark nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Aql
Data: mag   size 180' x 10'
Position: RA 19:15.6  DEC +00:13
In Aquila, at ~ 4° S-W of Delta Aql. Completely being unaware of what I tried
to observe, in terms of appearance, form and opacity, I tried an observation of
couple B137-B138. Covering a great area in central portion of Aquila, no object
appeared at the beginning. In scanning the zone carefuly, I finally perceived an
dark area drawing a crescent shape, a bit like a first quarter moon. In keeping
the eyes at the eyepieces, it appeared obvious to me that there was something at
this place, but quite difficult to say what formed B137 or B138. For sure, it is
a dark cloud with a crescent shape. It is near of a triangle, at the SE end, of
stars HD 181420, 27 Aql and HD 181609, of HD 181907 and TYC 5131-253-1 at the E
end, and of 23 Aql in N. By doing much research, I can say now that the crescent
shape is B138 and B137 is only one small appendix connected to B138, not
visible. In spite of an average opacity, the crescent shape is easily visible,
although this last is, in fact, one part of a bigger object. B138 is less
detached from the deep sky than B133. The portion at the SSE of 23 Aql is
particularly obvious.
--
Optional related URLs: http://video.library.gatech.edu/Barnard_Project_W/platechart/platechart40.jpg