(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6543 (Cat'e eye nebula) - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Tue May 8 22:33:54 EDT 2007

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2007/04/21 6h36 UT
Location of site: Ste-Catherine-de-Hatley, Québec, Canada (Lat 45.4542°, Elev 316 m)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 5.2 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 6543 (Cat'e eye nebula)
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Dra
Data: mag 8.3  size 22" x 16"
Position: RA 17:58.6  DEC 66:38
In Draco, at ~ 2¾° NE of 36 Dra. My last observation of this object goes back to
April 20, 2001. With my binoculars, the nebula of the ecliptic pole is almost
identical seemingly to other planetary nebulas of the same size such as NGC 6826
or NGC 7662; it shows an effect of blinking of most interesting when one passes
from the direct vision to the averted vision. The surrounding stars, which have
a comparable brightness, do not undergo this effect. Located at the center a
line formed by stars TYC 4212-839-1 and TYC 4213-916-1, the object is almost
visible with direct vision. I notice also a weak star to the NW of NGC 6543,
which is, in fact, TYC 4212-20-1.
--
Optional related URLs: