(IAAC) Obj: M80 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Tue Aug 19 20:56:56 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2008-07-05 2h36 UT
Location of site: St-Joseph-de-Coleraine (Lat 45,97°, Elev 380 m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): M80
Category: Globular cluster.
Class: II
Constellation: Sco
Data: mag 7.3  size 8.9'
Position: RA 16:17  DEC -22:59
In Scorpius, at 4½° NW of Antares (Alpha Sco). My last observation of this
cluster dates back to May 20, 2001. Initially, I was confused on the correct
identification of the object because of the proximity of the star TYC
6793-311-1, just NE of the M80. Also, transparency of this sector in the sky is
not very good. With careful observations, I managed to isolate M80 from TYC
6793-311-1. The dimensions of this GC are rather smal at 9x, but high degree of
concentration is evident and, using the averted vision, the heart of the cluster
is looking stellar.
--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html