(IAAC) Obj: B43 - Inst: Vixen 9x63 binoculars

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Tue Aug 19 21:08:21 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Stéphane Meloche <stephanemeloche at videotron.ca>

Observer: Stéphane Meloche
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2008-07-05 2h51 UT
Location of site: St-Joseph-de-Coleraine (Lat 45,97°, Elev 380 m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Vixen 9x63 binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): B43
Category: Dark nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Sco
Data: mag   size 200' x 80'
Position: RA 16:22  DEC -19:40
In Scorpius, just SE of Chi Oph. This dark nebula reveals itself surprisingly
obvious to my 9x63. This is due to its larger size, and a rapid scanning in the
sector clearly shows that there is a "hole" of stars on the location of B43.
This observation is facilitated by the presence stars of the Milky Way, near the
studied area. More precisely, the region where I can distinguish B43 without
problems lies at the centre of the triangle formed by Psi Oph, Chi Oph and HD
150416.
--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html