(IAAC) Obj: NGC 5873 - Inst: 15" f/4.5 Obsession

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Tue Jun 24 02:20:39 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Armin Hermann <burmeseinn at yahoo.com>

Observer: Armin Hermann
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 23 Jun 2008
Location of site: Khao Poon Hill, 7 km S of Kanchanaburi, Thailand (Lat 14, Elev 200m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 6mag <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 8-9 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 15" f/4.5 Obsession
Magnification: 342x, 131x
Filter(s): OIII
Object(s): NGC 5873
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Lup
Data: mag 11  size 5"
Position: RA 18:13  DEC -38:
Tiny bright and light blue disk at 342x. It's slightly elongated shape is
obvious, direction E-W. The planetary is located approx 12" SW of a 13mag
star. The brightness of 5873 is given between 9.7v and 13p in various
resouces. I would place it between 10.5 and 11 mag. The size in various souces
also differs between 3 and 7". I would place it as a 4x5" disk. A bit
difficult to fin d due to its small size. At 131x it is not stellar but a
double check with the OIII filter was necessary to confirm. No good observing
reports online to confirm my observations.

--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html