(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6992, NGC 6995, Veil Nebula - Inst: 15" f4.5 Obsession

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Mon Jun 30 23:30:19 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Armin Hermann <burmeseinn at yahoo.com>

Observer: Armin Hermann
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 27 Jun 2008
Location of site: 5 km N of Kanchanaburi, Thailand (Lat 14 N, Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 9 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 15" f4.5 Obsession
Magnification: 78x, 131x, 342x
Filter(s): O III
Object(s): NGC 6992, NGC 6995, Veil Nebula
Category: Supernova remnant.
Class:
Constellation: Cyg
Data: mag -  size -
Position: RA 20:57  DEC +32:
This part of the Veil Nebula complex looks much brighter than NGC 6960 near 52
Cyg or NGC 6979. At 78x with the OIII filter I could easily see the whole arc
spanning over some 1.5 deg. At 131x with the OIII filter, the arc would split up into
parallel slices of nebulosity along its entire shape. Increasing the magnification
further to 342x with the OIII filter attached, I was able to see those filament slices
more clearly but, I failed to see the very fine detail that I could observe in NGC
6960 on several occasions. Maybe it just needs clearer skies. So far I have seen
the Veil Nebula only under medium conditions from lightly light polluted locations.

--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html