(IAAC) Obj: M22 - Inst: Eye

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Mon May 12 14:18:21 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Lew Gramer <owner at visualdeepsky.org>

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2008-May-10 05:00UT
Location of site: At sea in outer Florida Bay, USA (Lat 25N, Elev 5m)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 7.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Eye
Magnification: 0x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): M22
Category: Globular cluster.
Class:
Constellation: SGR
Data: mag 5.1  size 32'
Position: RA 18:36  DEC -23:54
While underway on a research vessel in the outer
Florida Bay / southwest Florida Shelf (80 miles
southwest of Miami, offshore of the Everglades),
the watch officer kindly darkened the upper deck
lights for me. After about 15 minutes of dark
adaptation, the cloudless night sky was just awe
inspiring. M22 was quite an easy little nub to
spot with the naked eye - though in truth, I saw
no clear evidence of its non-stellar nature with
my relatively poor visual acuity. A younger eye
probably could have pegged it as a "fuzzy star".
--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html