(IAAC) Obj: Sharpless 240, SH 240, S 240 - Inst: 15" f4.5 Obsession

anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com anonymous at s15272250.onlinehome-server.com
Tue May 20 22:28:28 EDT 2008

----

Observation Poster: Armin Hermann <burmeseinn at yahoo.com>

Observer: Armin Hermann
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 13 Dec 2003
Location of site: Sangkhlaburi / Thailand (Lat +15, Elev 200)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 6+ <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 15" f4.5 Obsession
Magnification: 78x
Filter(s): O III
Object(s): Sharpless 240, SH 240, S 240
Category: Supernova remnant.
Class:
Constellation: Tau/Aur
Data: mag   size 3 deg
Position: RA 05:40  DEC +28:
Extremely faint supernova remnants in Tau/Aur. Using the Nagler 22mm at 78x
with an OIII filter and averted vision I could make out the southern parts of the
Nebula as very faint but fairly easily visible streaks. Without the OIII filter I could
not detect any trace of SH 240. The nebula is almost too extended for my lowest
magnification of 78x. SH 240 definitely needs very clear skies. I did not search for
the northern arcs of the SN remnant.

--
** This observing log was submitted via the IAAC Web form:
  www.visualdeepsky.org/enter-log.html