[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FOV vs moon discussion,etc

Wayne,

We are all "Novices" at this, the only difference is some of us have more
time in as one!  :-> Also, the 1.33 hours of clear skies since joining NAMN
is a requirement for all new members!

Concerning those faint meteors you saw, you did exactly right, you have to
"call em as you see em." This is where some observers participating in a
group observing project get themselves in trouble by letting the cries of
"Did you see that one!!" from other people influence their counts. Always
report what you see, if you're not sure it was a meteor..dot it ain't one.

You asked:
>So, were these dim meteors? Scintillations?

I can't really answer this for you. From my own experience, I would say
those dim "meteors" were a little of both. But as I gained experience making
observations, I have noted that I can normally tell the difference between a
scintillation and a meteor. I think you will do this also. If I'm not sure
what it was, it gets forgotten.

Your solution to shielding yourself from the streetlight is exactly the same
one I use, with the exception that I use my house to shield the neighbor's
light, which also works pretty good. And my family members inside *my* house
*know* the penalty for cutting a light on when I'm observing...

Mark

| Mark Davis		   MeteorObs@charlestondot net |
| Coordinator, North American Meteor Network (NAMN) |
| Assistant Recorder, ALPO Meteors Section          |
| Visit the NAMN home page at:			    |
|	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html |