[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re-entering space debris questions

Friday  May 10, 1996
9:57 MDT/  1557 UTC

Greetings meteor observers.

My name is Tom Ashcraft and I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I visually and
radio observe meteors. My radio observing range is out over the Great
Plains states from eastern Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, the
Dakotas/Minnesota on down to the Ozarks and Texas. I chart record 24 hours
day and note fireballs, meteor activity and any anomalies.

Here are some questions:  What percentage of current meteors are actually
re-entering space debris? What percentage of fireballs are re-entering
debris?  Are there papers on this? Are there methods of distinguishing
visual man-made debris from natural meteors?   Thanks for any help on this.

And good luck to this network! The NAMN articles and Gary Kronk's web site
have provided much valuable info to this observatory the past year.

Clear skies to all.    (But some rain to the parched southwest.)

Tom Ashcraft
72632.1427@compuservedot com
Radio Fireball Observatory
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA