[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re-entering space debris questions

Hi Tom,

My name is Mark Davis (one of the Coordinators of NAMN) and I wanted to say
thanks for the kind remarks about our material helping you out...I'm glad we
were able to! I also wanted to congratulate you on the Sky & Tel article
where they mention you and your radio work. Excellent work!!

You wrote:
>Here are some questions:  What percentage of current meteors are actually
>re-entering space debris? What percentage of fireballs are re-entering
>debris?  Are there papers on this? Are there methods of distinguishing
>visual man-made debris from natural meteors?   Thanks for any help on this.

I have never seen any type of figure for those percentages so can't help you
there. Anybody else see any estimates?

In addition to what Lew mentioned on how to distinguish them, I would also
add path length as it has been my experience that debris *tends* to have a
longer path. Anybody else have similar tales on this?

Concerning the papers, I don't know offhand, but will check and post any I
find here on the mailing list.

Since you don't need clear skies to observe :) I'll wish you enough rain to
put those fires out!

Best,
Mark