[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re-entering space debris questions

Tom,

It's been estimated that about 24,000 meteorites of the 4 oz to 20 lb class
reaches the earth's surface daily.  Of this, only about 7,500 reaches land.
 Rates of fireballs that don't produce meteorites are probably a lot higher
still.  There is a lot of space junk orbiting the earth, but I doubt they are
falling back as fireballs to significanly effect fireball rates as a whole.
 I don't think any piece of fallen space junk as been mistakenly identified
as a genuine meteorite.  The metal contents have been pretty much identified
to remove any bogus finds.

Space junk do have very low velocities, but I must remind you that most
meteorites that survived entry were traveling less than the 27km/s range and
most likely in the 11 km/s range.  This velocity is still very high for space
junk.  But something traveling at 11km/s will still appear to be creeping
along.  As for relying on color...I wouldn't.  I believe the color of orange
may simply be an indication of a slow moving object among other things...that
is slower than say about 40km/s.

Persistent trains are also very prominent and long lasting for meteors that
produced meteorites.  I wouldn't rely on persistent trains for space junk
determinations.

Personally, I'd wouldn't worry about trying to make a distinction between
space junk and genuine solar system debris unless a piece was found to be
analyzed.  The rates won't be affected much...unless a lot more is put up
there and a sudden massive increase in reentry rates occurs.  If you are
really concerned, you might want to consider making meteor
spectrographs....but that is a very time consuming project with lots of luck
involved.
George Zay