[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Introduction

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

For those who don't know me I live in Chula Vista, California, a suburb
of San Diego. The skies here aren't all that bad considering the size
of the San Diego area. The average LM here in town is around 5.0 to
5.5. My wife likes for me to observe from home but coastal low clouds
often force me to drive 45 miles eastward where the elevation is 3,000
ft. This is near the small community of Descanso which is usually above
the cloud deck.  I have used a spot off the highway for several years
without knowing that George Zay had built an observatory only a hundred
yards away. Thank goodness George saw my name in the IMO's who's who
list and got in touch with me. Now George and I observe in comfort with
electric blankets and without the worry of being eaten alive by
mountain lions. The skies from Descanso are marvelous, especially when
the coastal clouds block the light pollution from the city. At Descanso,
my LM averages 6.5 but occasionally surpasses 7.0 on the best nights. I
really appreciate the fact that George trusts me with a key to the gate
so that I may take advantage of the clear skies even while he is at
work. Occasionally the clouds reach 3,000 ft and we are forced to
travel a little further eastward. There is another 3,000 ft of altitude
available before we run out of height. Naturally there are many clouds
above the 6,000 ft level but we could probably observe on at least 300
nights a year if moonlight did not interfere.

I have been actively observing meteors since 1966 (no, I did not see
the Leonid storm of that year). I am a member of the IMO, NAMN, AMS,
AAVSO, and also the recorder of the ALPO Meteors Section.

Bob Lunsford