[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

distance

      Neglecting bending of the light by the atmosphere, and assuming a burn
altitude of 80 miles, a meteor farther than about 790 miles away would be
below the horizon. Using a burn altitude of 70 miles, then a meteor 45
degrees above the horizon is above a point on the Earth about 68 miles away
from the observer. I made these calculations, and they have not been checked
by anyone, so they may be wrong. I have it set up on the computer. It is not
much effort to do the figures for different numbers, so if any of you want me
to run any particular numbers for you then e-mail.