[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: response to meteor messages

>>A time cube would be very useful on the stronger major shower maxes.  Why
>>bother with it on nights with low rates?
>For me, using a handheld tape recorder, WWV just saves having to subtract any
>"dead time" on my reports for checking a wrist watch. (Probably wouldn't be
more
>than 5 secs per meteor, but I'd feel I had to note it...)

You're perfectly right Lew, checking a watch needs to be counted as "dead
time." On a slow night where only a handful of meteors are observed,
subtracting five seconds/meteor may seem like overkill. But on nights when
you've seen 200 or more...

This is actually where some people make mistakes on their meteor reports.
Dead time is any time your eyes have been taken off the sky, whether it's to
do a plot, pour a cup of your favorite 3 am beverage, or to see if that
noise behind you did come from a bear. :)

Thanks for reminding us!

mark