[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: response to meteor messages

>On a cold night the tape recorder has to be kept inside the sleeping bag or
>under the covers.  The same goes for my timepiece, usually an alarm clock.
>The clock slows down or stops below 60 degrees F.

This is what I currently do here in the warmer climates of S. Carolina. But
when I lived in the Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia, the cold would kill my
batteries even covered up!

>A second type of color perception is by magnitude for getting any coloring
>at all.  I see all meteors of +1m as colored, about 60% of +2m's, 10% of
>+3m's, and occasionally a fainter one which is always orange.  A bright and
>pure white meteor is rare for me.  Distance from central vision is
>irrelevant in my case.  No matter how poorly seen a meteor is, I perceive a
>color if it is above my brightness threshhold.  A fireball lighting the
>ground also reveals its color, from -4m on up.

Your color perception is definitely greater than mine as your percentages
are a lot higher. Also, I have never seen color in a +3 mag or fainter
meteor and color in only a small percentage of +2 mags (probably related to
my vision). Of the +3 magnitude and fainter class, have you been able to
determine whether one color predominates over the others?

>Another math-filled meteor book is "The Physics of Meteor Flight in the
>Atmosphere."  I don't recall the author.  Was never interested in reading
>this myself.

This book was written by Ernest J. Opik, published in 1958 by Interscience
Publishers. Another good book, but definitely math-intensive.

mark