[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

meteor spectroscopy

Lew asked a little about meteor spectroscopy.  I've dabbled into the effort a
little.  first of all, I'll say it takes a lot of luck and expense for little
return.  but you need something to disperse the meteors light into a
spectrum.  This is done with either a prism or an expensive diffraction
grating.  An ordinary cheap diffraction grating that is sold at hobby supply
stores etc. won't work for meteor work.  A big enough quality grating to
cover a lenswill cost several hundred dollars or more if you can find a place
that sells it.  I made my spectrograph from the largest prism I can find in
the Edmunds Scientific catalog.  It cost somewhere near $200.  You have to
mount this prism at a proper angle in front of the camera's lens.  I tried it
out first on stars.  I noticed that on a 50mm lens, I couldn't make out the
emission lines.  but with a 135mm lens I could see some lines.  Anyhow, you
make a time exposure and hope for a very bright fireball.  The prism absorbs
a lot of light.  But if a fireball crosses the prisms proper alignment,
various emission lines will be spread across the film.  While engaged with
trying to obtain meteor spectra, I was never blessed with a brite meteor at
the right time and setup/alignment.  My hats off to those few successful
amateurs.
George