[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variation in sporadic rates

>You mentioned some intesting data, Mark. Where'd you get access to the meteor
>rates? Also, were the radio observations corrected (and how?) for known
>showers? I know there's considerable difficulty of finding the radiants of
>radio-only showers. (Non-amateur equipment is needed, isn't it?)

I'm not sure which data you're talking about, but the radio observations is
something I remember reading in "Meteor Science and Engineering" and I
obtained the ALPO data from the annual report. The radio observations were
made by professional astronomers with professional equipment, so I guess the
known showers were accounted for. But how, I don't have the original
research so can't really say. Maybe we can get Thomas Ashcraft to jump in
here since this is an area he works in.

>Naively, it seems like a few "minor radio showers" clustered in the latter
half
>of the year could produce the effect your describing?

Possibly, but the effect is observed from both hemispheres, therefore it is
possible that these minor radio showers are cancelled out.

>The diurnal variation exhibits something like a (forward-leaning) log-gaussian
>distribution (I'm guessing), or about what you'd expect from an effect due to
>Earth's rotation. What sort of distribution do sporadics show on an annual
>basis? Is there any measured drift in the mode(s) of this distribution?
>
>This is a good one for the more theoretical subscribers to answer, I guess! :)

Definitely, I'll hand the ball off to someone else here... :)

mark