[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fun Limiting Magnitude musings]

Hi folks,
Well the conspiracy karma got me again. Last night I had a social
engagement which I had to attend (or permanantly reside in the middle of a
field observing meteors since the locks would be changed when I got home
:-), and it was the clearest night in 2 months (Hope you got it too, Lew).
I was so tempted to observe, but since I was at a LOUD music concert and
was falling asleep at 10 PM, I didn't think I'd last 10 minutes by the time
I got home at 1:30. Anyhow, while cursing my fate, I wandered out to at
least scan the LM areas to see what I was missing (Rats, it was better than
5.7...dot best since I joined NAMN), and see if I could finally spot
Hale-Bopp(I did). I was really annoyed at that long cloud that ran from
Sagittarius, through Aquila and Cygnus and beyond. For the humor impaired
of course I'm speaking of the great light polluter, the Milky Way. I was
just pondering (Pinky, are you pondering what I am?) the reduced visibiliy
of meteors when they are in front of the MW. Certainly, there is a hmmmmm
background magnitude, which would be qualitativly different from the normal
limiting magnitude of illuminated aerosols and crud which is in between us
and the meteor. Anyone ever given any thought to this?
(Well I think so Brain....)
Wayne