[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fireball brightness estimates

Hi everybody,

It seems I back up and running now, so will respond to all as soon as
possible. I just wanted to add to this thread that I use personal experience
mostly to estimate a brightness, but this is limited as the brightest
fireball I have ever seen is a -8. Therefore, as a check on my estimate, I
also use the lighting of the surroundings.

But I have not taken it the level that Marc de Lignie has. I am very
intersted in the scale he has proposed. It seems like it would be a very
useable method. Are there any comments on the scale, especially from you
lucky folks seeing those really bright events?

In case you missed it, his scale is below:

-6 discernible lighting of the surrounding (or ground shadows as Lew suggested)
-9 clear lighting of the surrounding
-12 enormous lighting of the surrounding, as with the Full Moon
-15 I have never witnessed this one and I guess you will recognize its
brightness when you see it....

Mark