[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nebulous meteors

Dear neboulous meteor observers,

You can find a video recording of an event very similar to George's description below, on
IMO's video WWW page, maintained by Sirko Molau. The original recording was made by
Klaas Jobse and digitized into an MPEG film by me. If you do not have an MPEG player
just look around in the public domain software to find one.

Also note that in one of the WGN discussions on dark/nebulous meteors there was a
reference to Russian work that supposed that these meteors occurred much higher in the
atmosphere (faster diffusion) than ordinary meteors. So, double station recordings of such
events are required!

Marc

>Around July 3rd I saw a meteor that may be related to the "sparkler". It
>appeared broad-shaped like the "sparkler", but it did not sparkle.  It was
>"solid" and of 3rd or 4th magnitude.  The light from it seemed homogenous and
>soft.  The best way I can describe it was to say that it resembled a section
>of a bright persistent train that moved like a meteor.  Other than sayhing to
>Lunsford that the meteor was funny looking, nothing more was said.
> Unfortunately, Lunsford was recording data from a previous meteor at the
>time  I made my sighting."

>George

Marc de Lignie
Prins Hendrikplein 42                        Tel. +31 (70) 320 5673
NL-2264 SN  Leidschendam            Fax. +31 (70) 332 6477
The Netherlands                                E-mail: mcdelign@pidot net

Predicted progress always fails. Real progress is all the small
steps you realize to have made when looking back in time.