[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Endeavor visibility for west coast

I just received this from one of my NAMN people.  Perhaps some of you might
want to check this out in the morning if you are located in a favorable
place.  I just so happen will be out there during that time trying to
photograph Hale-Bopp. Perhaps I'll take a 10 minute brake from the off axis
guider and see if I can catch a peek?  I might direct the other camera in
that direction with the hopes of photographing it. George
------

Howdy, George:

Say, you might want to check out a predictable meteor-like event
to happen Wednesday morning, low in your northern sky.  I enclose
a copy of a blurb I just sent to the appropriate Usenet groups:

STS-77 (Endeavour) is expected to begin its deorbit burn at 10:15 UTC
on Wednesday, 29 May; touchdown at Kennedy Space Center will occur
less than one hour later.  Given the 39-degree orbital inclination
and the early-morning landing circumstances, re-entry will likely be
visible to observers with clear skies in the Southwest.

The Eastbay Astronomical Society's David Rodrigues witnessed the
re-entry of STS-73 last November under similar conditions.  He
reported it appearing like "a pinkish-red automobile flare shooting
across the sky in about three minutes, leaving a whitish smoke trail
behind.  Its magnitude has been estimated at minus seven!"  Like a
meteor train, the "smoke" trail may be visible for up to 15 minutes.
Those in a quiet environment might even hear the telltale double sonic
boom five minutes afterward.

The nominal re-entry track runs approximately from a point just north
of San Francisco to the "Four Corners" region and over the Texas
panhandle.  Thus the trajectory across the sky will be from west to
east.  However, twilight -- or even daylight -- conditions will hamper
visibility from New Mexico eastward.

Assuming a landing at KSC happens at 11:10 UTC, the approximate
timeline of events is as follows:

     Event           Time  UTC      MDT     MST/PDT*

 Radio Blackout
 Begins                   10:45     4:45      3:45

 Arrives Over
 West Coast               10:49     4:49      3:49

 Maximum Heating          10:51     4:51      3:51

 Blackout Ends            10:59     4:49      3:59

 KSC Touchdown            11:10     5:10      4:10

(* Much of Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time [MST].)

Of course, if weather conditions won't allow a landing at the above
time, or if flight managers re-direct the landing to Edwards, the
above timeline will be invalidated.

Regards, Mark

 Mark Gingrich      grinch@rahuldot net      San Leandro, California