[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing Schedule

I (like George) have almost become limited exclusively to meteor
observing. The only time I don't bother watching meteors is when the
moon is between 10 and 22 days old. During this time I will try to
observe through the telescope only after spending some Q-time with
the wife (you know how that goes). This means I get out after 11PM
and most of the time around here it is clouded over by then. When it
is clear I concentrate on variable stars and the planets. I used to
be into deep sky and faint comets but my trips to the mountains with
the 16" are a thing of the past, at least until I can afford to get a
truck. When the sun sets early I sometimes spend an hour after
sundown scanning the evening skies before dinner.

My work schedule has become very favorable for meteor observing as I
now can watch on any morning but Friday's, Saturday's, and Sunday's.
If a major shower occurs on one of these days I can rearrange my
schedule to compensate. On Mondays and Thursday's I have to report
directly to work after observing but it is only a 5 hour shift (I
have 10 hour shifts FRI-SUN). Since I have to drive 45 miles to
George's Observatory I like to watch for at least 3 hours, preferably
4. At this time of the year it means I have to get up by 11:30 PM and
start observing by 12:30 AM. It can be brutal when you have to go to
work after an observing session with only 3 or so hours of sleep.

I try to watch on every moonless night but sometimes it gets to you
and you simply have to recharge your battery. Like I said, it is
usually cloudy here so I rely on the weather channel to see if the
cloud deck is above or below the observatory site. It's also nice
when George is up there since he can phone me and tell me to stay
home if it's cloudy.

Anyway, I have bent your ears long enough. I hope someone finds this
interesting.

Clear Skies

Bob