[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Shuttle

Well,

I got a tear jerker for you all.  I was out this morning since midnight to
set up my telescope for a photo attempt of comet Hale-Bopp and also of the
Space Shuttle Endeavor.  Well, when I arrived at the observatory, it was very
clear.  It took me awhile to get both camera systems set up...actually, it
took me awhile to find Hale-Bopp with the moon thru my binoculars first. I
finally found it...I think as the moon set around 3 am. and started the
exposure.  I figured on making a one hour exposure before I had to stop
because of dawn.  I had intended on stopping the exposure temporarily around
3:40 to keep a watch for the shuttle. But at 3:35, I noticed some fog moving
in.  I stopped the exposure then.  It became very thick...couldn't even see
the glow of jupiter. Then at 3:51 and a dozen or so seconds, I saw a
brilliant flash in the NorthWest.  I assume it was the shuttle, but it could
also been a cars headlights. I didn't notice any movement thru the
clouds...just a flash that lasted about 2 or so seconds. I like to think it
was the shuttle.  Then at 4 am, the fog moved out again...talk about crappy
timing. I continued the exposure of Hale Bopp until about 4:20 am.  So...I
guess I got a combined 40 minute exposure of the comet. I tried hard, but it
seemed like everything was against me. I won't be out again until some while
after the full moon.

About Telescopic meteor observing.  I personally don't do it, but have
thought about it on occasions.  Just for everyone's info, I copied an IMO
article about choosing binoculars for the purpose of telescopic meteor
observing into the computer.  It is one of the NAMN Subject matters...Meteor
22.  Anybody interested in me emailing it to them?
George