[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weather

Wayne has hit a raw nerve with me when he mentioned the Weather Channel.  It
may be good in some places, but it frustrates the heck out of me. Here, the
Weather Channel only gives you the forecast for the coastal area of San
Diego....80% of the time we have fog developing at night and it burns off by
noon.  During these foggy nights, it is often clear in the mountains...or
variable cloudiness and sometimes high winds and even a layer of clouds above
the fog is possible...and even the dreaded Deep Marine Layer making it's way
up the mountain slopes.  But you don't know this, because the Weather Channel
is stuck on Automatic mode for the city of San Diego. When they give their 3
day forecast and it shows partly cloudy skies, I'm not sure if that means fog
until noon and then clear, or....partly cloudy skies. I see the same symbols
for both conditions. If it's genuinely partly cloudy along the coast, it will
most likely be partly cloudy in the mountains as well. But if it's just the
partly cloudy along the coast because of fog, I usually can count on clear
skies in the moutains. A definite guessing game for anywhere that's more than
25 miles inland.
George