[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weather Help

n a message dated 96-06-04 06:58:32 EDT, RDL wrote:

>George and I have tried to get in touch with someone living in the
>higher elevations of the mountains who could scan the skies for us and
>save us a trip should it be cloudy.  Our attempts have been met with
>some rude responses, especially from the snobs at Mt. Laguna
>Observatory who told us " they do not have the time to look outside to
>see if it is clear or not".

>Are these guys professionals or  " local yokel" amateurs??  Thats some
>attitude. What nerve. they should look out once in a while - they seem to be
>missing out on a lot!

>Kevin
-------------

Kevin,

Not only were they professionals, but the guy who gave me that answer was the
director of the astronomy dept. for San Diego State University. I asked this
either last winter or the previous one, but I'm still stewing over it. The
plan I offered was essentially an occasional thing when we got fogged out at
my observatory at an elevation lower than there's by about 1800 feet.  All I
wanted to do was when I face these occasional problems that we could call
them on the phone and simply ask if it was cloudy or clear. I expected to do
this about once every couple months on the average. Oh Well?
George