[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: June Arietids

George,

The few studies that I have read indicate that micrometeorites (those in the 20
to 50 micron range) drift down faster than was once believed*perhaps in the
course of about 12 hours or so. My monitoring of the Eta Aquarids, for example,
revealed my highest rates to date (an average of about 106 per day within the
space of a well slide) the day before maximum (which was unfortunately followed
by over a week of bad weather).  I am looking forward to a much longer term of
monitoring this type of activity to confirm the details.

My lowest rates to date were one and two a day (very boring scanning a slide
and coming up with such a small number of particles) which came several days in
February and March. Another very nice peak of about 20 particles per day came
two days after the Lyrid maximum, but the maximum itself was again lost to
rainy weather.

Gary