[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) June Lyrids

George G.

Plotting low rates are important for minor shower detection...yes you will
see less of them/hour, but that's where you list your dead time to compensate
for the loss.  5/hour is way within the range to adequately plot meteors. I
allow 30 seconds per plot as my average.  Sometimes I use less time and
sometimes a wee bit more...but 30 is my average at the present.  If you are
seeing only 5/hour, you won't be missing too many by doing a plot. As to
interrupting night vision or concentration...I disagree.  If anything, this
breaks the monotony and provides mini-breaks for the mind.  I personally feel
more alert with the expectation for the  next meteor  when I do a plot or
even just count a meteor.  When you do a plot, you are really at the peak of
concentration to make that plot.  Frequently I will record meteor data for 2
or more nights in a row.  For those nights that I've plotted, at my leisure I
will combine the plottings of 2 to 4 nights on one set of charts.  I will
then draw lines in the opposite direction that the meteor traveled.  Where
they intersect I take a closer look.  If I get something like 4 or more
intersecting meteors per about 25 plots, I'll look still closer for
relationships in path length and speed. From 2 or more slow nights in a row,
if there is something going on, you stand a better chance of seeing it with a
plot. It is very hard to rely on memory a series of possible radiants with
just a few to make sense out of. I don't know if you and gary did any
plotting for the Sept. "Triangulids", but it would have been more meaningful
if you did. If I remember correctly, the radiant is somewhat indeterminant at
this moment.  I intend to plot as much as I can every sept. to see if I can
help pinpoint a radiant. At that time of year, there is a lot of sporadic
activity as it is and some "false radiants" are possible. Anyhow, as to
plotting. If you are out there in the first place to record meteor data when
meteor activity is low, you are cheating yourself of quality data by not
plotting. You may not be very accurate at first, but like anything else, with
experience your accuracy will improve.
George Z.