[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June Lyrids, Plotting, And Meteor Orgs

Well, this discussion has certainly made a point that I've noted as I've
been trying to get up to speed in the last month or two since becoming an
observer. There is a wide variation in what different organizations
recognize as active showers! As a result' I've had to make some judgements
about how to plan my observing in order to meet my goals. What I've done is
created a hierarchy of souces.
There seems little or no dispute about the existance on the IMO visual
showers, although even that has some hidden detail as the IMO Sagittarids
apparantly are a combination of numerous minor showers.
ALPO has a slightly different way of separating this collection of
radiants. I haven't seen what AMS does yet. To me this is part of the
fascination of meteor observing, and specifically plotting. Georges
spirited defense of plotting is close to my views, that in order to
separate these low rate, minor showers, and provide sufficient
documentation to resolve questions it is almost essential. With the paucity
of such data, I feel that my contributions can have real value.
	Once again, let me state that I'm new at this, and my perceptions are
just what I've come up with in my early exposure. I'm certainly glad that I
have George and Mark to give this information to at this point, and let
them sort it out between what each organization wants to receive
information on.As for me, my personal observation archive includes
potential showers from any available source. I'll let time and observations
tell which are real, and which are make believe.
	Wayne