[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) June Lyrids

George Zay said:

>It is very hard to rely on memory a series of possible radiants with
>just a few to make sense out of. I don't know if you and gary did any
>plotting for the Sept. "Triangulids"

Actually Gary Kronk and his friend Kurt Sleeter did plot some meteors, but
I didn't. I'm not against plotting, but all I have are old AMS charts. I
will probably plot if I can get a set of good charts (lost my old AMS ones).
I use to plot for AMS long ago. In 1964 I plotted over 500+ meteors for AMS;
so am sure I can relearn the methods used. If somebody sends me a set of IMO
charts I will plot more again.

George Zay continued:

>If I remember correctly, the radiant [of Sept. Aries-Triangulids] is somewhat
>indeterminant at this moment.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one, but I think that's because it is
a large diffuse radiant, noy due to my lack of plotting. Of course, I could
be mistaken :-)  All I can say is that there seems to be a radiant somewhere
between Alpha Trianguli and Gamma Arietis. Gary's research in this are has
shown evidence of past activity.

As for seeing eight June Lyrids in 1.5 hours a few years ago, maybe I was
lucky to see an outburst of faint members of this shower.

G.W. Gliba