[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) colors redux (was Re: 1979 Geminid color table)

Thanks for posting the data, Norm. Once I get more data built up later in the
year, I'll try to compile and forward it to you.

BTW, it looks like your table suffered from "fontitis": made it pretty hard to
figure out some parts. Try reposting it to the list using only Courier or some
other fixed-pitch font, and spaces to separate - don't use any tab characters.

To the List:
Another thing that occurred to me (actually while rereading the variable star
pages in Muirden's old "Handbook") is that the eye has varying brightness AND
brightness-change responses at different magnitudes. Thus a red flaring fireball
will actually seem to increase MORE in brightness than a blue flaring fireball
with exactly the same (photometric) magnitude range. Note that this effect seems
to ONLY depend on APPARENT color to each observer. This seems like a good reason
to report meteor colors, even if they are unreliable. Thoughts from the list?

							Lew