[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dust Collecting Oppurtunity

I am happy to report a possible unique oppurtunity regarding the collection
of micrometeorites at high altitudes.

In speaking with dust scientist Michael Zolensky of NASA he informed that
if there was a particularly extraordinary bolide event or meteor event of
some sort they may be able to fly a high altitude collecting plane through
the resulting debris clouds. Supposedly event debris will hang in the upper
atmosphere for a certain time period and filter down at fairly known rates
depending on conditions.

If anyone hears of or sees an *extraordinary* event I would encourage you
to report it here or to me and I will pass the info on to Michael Zolensky.
 I don't think there is a protocol setup for immediate reporting of
fireballs over North America but if anyone hears of anything please post
details *as soon as possible.* It is feasible that NASA dust scientists
will plan a mission to try to intercept the dust.

Tom Ashcraft
72632.1427@compuservedot com