[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteor colors redux

>According to some variable star literature I've read, the eye's sensitivity
>brightness changes is very dependent on the color of the light. Red
variables

>with certain amplitudes will appear to vary MORE than blue variables with
the

>same mag and amplitude, by as much as 1 apparent magnitude's difference.
>
>This is in addition to the well-known illusion which makes a red star of V=1

>appear brighter than a blue star of V=1.
>
>Surely, then, the *perceived* color of a meteor should be taken into account
>in
>magnitude studies, not to mention when one is noting variable-brightness
>(e.g.,
>flaring) meteors. Thoughts from anyone about this?
>
>Lew
----------

Well,  to start out with I personally don't see a magnitude difference to be
all that concerned.  to me Vega and Arcturus looks the same in
Magnitude...0.0 despite being White and Red respectively.  I personally don't
think my judgement on meteor magnitudes are in jeopardy.  I wouldn't even
take meteor colors into consideration for any meteor magnitude studies mainly
because I believe most perceived meteor colors is in the eye of the
beholder...except for the more brighter meteors in the negative magnitude
class.  Assigning magnitudes is a judgement call that is only as accurate as
the human  system will allow. You just do what you can and not worry about
 some of the inaccuracies that you can't do any thing about. If you are doing
a lot of magnitudes for a big shower, it will probably all come out in the
wash.
George Z.