[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor colors redux (was Re: Meteor Times)

>To Neil, George, Bob, Mark, Norm, and all other experienced observers:
>
>According to some variable star literature I've read, the eye's sensitivity to
>brightness changes is very dependent on the color of the light. Red variables
>with certain amplitudes will appear to vary MORE than blue variables with the
>same mag and amplitude, by as much as 1 apparent magnitude's difference.

>Surely, then, the *perceived* color of a meteor should be taken into
account in
>magnitude studies, not to mention when one is noting variable-brightness
(e.g.,
>flaring) meteors. Thoughts from anyone about this?

You are right Lew, but I don't feel it will have an adverse impact on
estimating meteor magnitudes. From my variable star observing days, I tried
to not use a red star as a comparison, to prevent errors. But again, the
range of magnitudes are far smaller than in meteor observing. Also, if I
remember correctly, and I may be in error here, Mira variables are all red.
The Mira's make up the largest class of variables. These type of stars are
on the amateur lists, so if the error margin for variable estimates are
small enough to make the observations worthwhile, then I conclude we are on
solid ground in the meteor field.

Mark